The Unreal Conditional

 



Sentences in the "unreal" conditional have one part of the sentence that begins with the word "if" and contains a verb in what looks like the past tense and another part of the sentence which contains the modal verb "would." If the part of the sentence with "if" goes first, use a comma. These sentences are known as "unreal" conditional because they contain conditions that are not likely (probable). For example, in the sentence below, winning the lottery is not very likely.

  • If I won the lottery, I would buy a new car.
  • I would buy a new car if I won the lottery.
  • If we had a private airplane, we would travel around the world.
  • If I was rich, I would travel around the world.
  • If I had a car , I would drive everywhere.
  • If I were a king , I would contribute in many charity associations in all the world.
  • If I were you , I would wear that wonderful dress.

Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Adolescence changed my appetite

Two unmissable local dishes from barranquilla

Rules for Possesive Pronouns